While fishing is by far the most popular sport in Ketchikan, there are a lot of other activities for people to take part in. In fact, one of the best ways to see the area and enjoy the scenery is simply to take a walk through town and to the Totem Heritage Center. There, you can explore the history of totem poles and see some terrific examples.
Fun Things to Do
- Experience the sheer granite cliffs, plunging 1,000-foot waterfalls, crystalline lakes and low-hanging mists of Misty Fjords from the air on a seaplane.
- Fill your senses with excitement and adventure as you take the wheel of a four-wheel-drive vehicle and wend your way through a lush rain forest.
- Take a memorable kayaking trip to the beautiful Tatoosh Island. Keep a lookout for bald eagles, seals, and sea lions.
- Search for the Alaskan black bear on an exciting wildlife air/land adventure. It's one adventure not to be missed by the nature-lover or photographer.
- Explore the famous Inside Passage on a guided mountain-bike tour. Bring your sense of adventure, curiosity, and a camera. You'll want to share the beauty of Alaska with your friends and family.
- Take a Jeep® safari deep into the backcountry to a pristine alpine lake, where you'll go for a scenic canoe ride.
Five varieties of North Pacific salmon thrive in the cold waters off Ketchikan. Our experienced guides will take you out fishing in a well-equipped fishing boat and, if you'd like, we can even arrange to have your catch sent home for you.
Ketchikan is the "Salmon Capital of the World," and as you'd expect, the salmon are plentiful and fresh.
The official currency of the United States is the U.S. Dollar (USD).