Get close to nature in Stanley Park, a lush rainforest in the heart of the city. Here you will find the incredible Vancouver Aquarium. Canada's largest aquarium and home to more than 70,000 animals. While in Stanley Park, walk, bike or jog part of the seawall, a 10.5 km (6 mile) stone wall following the shoreline that surrounds the park.
Fun Things to Do
- Explore Gastown, Vancouver's most historic neighbourhood, considered to be the birthplace of the city.
- Stroll along Robson Street, Vancouver’s famous and exclusive shopping area.
- Shop, dine or enjoy a live theatre performace on Granville Island.
- Take in the views from the Vancouver Lookout where an elevator will wisk you above the city skyline to a 360º observation deck.
- 15 minutes from downtown and 3700 feet (1120m) above the city, visit Grouse Mountain, the Peak of Vancouver.
- Take a stroll across Capilano Suspension Bridge, stretching 450 feet (137m) across and 230 feet (70m) above the Capilano River.
Vancouver is home to Canada’s largest Chinatown. Here you will find specialty stores featuring exotic foods, teas and herbs. While in Chinatown sample the Peking duck or enjoy authentic dim sum. Be sure to visit Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, the only authentic classical garden outside of China.
In Canada, the Canadian dollar (CAD) is the official currency. Credit cards are widely accepted and often offer a good exchange rate. In all of Canada, a 5% Goods & Services Tax (GST) must be paid on all transportation, accommodation, restaurant meals, and just about anything else you purchase, right down to a pack of gum. The province of British Columbia also charges a 7% Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on goods.