When you're in Belize, don't miss the chance to climb to the top of El Castillo. This 135-foot structure is one of the tallest Mayan structures in Belize. From the top, you can see the Peten Forest, the Mayan Mountains and even across the border into Guatemala. Keep your eyes open for flocks of toucans and parrots in the trees below you.
Fun Things to Do
- Tour the amazing Altan Ha pyramid and discover the prevalence of Mayan influence in this culture. This ancient temple was erected as a symbol of Mayan honor and devotion to the Sun God, one of the central figures in their religious beliefs.
- The Baboon Sanctuary and Belize Zoo are great places to witness some of Belize's wildlife. You'll see tapir, jaguars, pumas, ocelots, margays, jaguarundis and more.
- Explore Belize's exciting underwater world and take in its unique coral structures, intricate caves and extensive marine life.
- Stroll the marketplace in Belize City and mingle with the local vendors selling fruits, vegetables, and arts and crafts.
- For an exciting adventure, hop on the powerboat Thriller, Belize City's fastest ride.
With such a beautiful Caribbean coastline, Belize also provides the perfect setting to snorkel and dive. Marine life is abundant here and a trip to Gail's Point will provide you the opportunity to view some playful manatee in their own habitat.
The official currency of Belize is the Belizean dollar (BZD). Many stores and restaurants also accept major credit cards, which usually offer you a good exchange rate.